Thursday, August 2, 2012

Welcome August, Happy National Watermelon Day, and an upcoming schedule adjustment!

Happy August, everyone!

Do you know that tomorrow, August 3, is National Watermelon Day? As soon as I found out about that, I had to veer from my original plans and put my chilly, refreshing watermelon soup on the menu in honor of this festive day!

Please enjoy this wonderful new, fresh menu! Place orders throughout the weekend for delivery on Tuesday, August 7.

I have important scheduling news: This coming week, I will still deliver on Tuesday, as usual. But starting the week after, I am trying something new! Starting with Monday, August 13, I am going to try delivering Mondays, in the morning! Yes, starting with the menu after this one, you should actually receive your food before lunchtime on Monday! We're going to try it out and see how it works. Any and all feedback is always welcome. I am especially interested in how early I can actually deliver to your home/office/classroom, and if you have a location change coming up as the weekday and time change, and the start of the school year approaches!

Thanks so much, and I look forward to cooking for you soon!

Much love,
Chef Mary

******************************************

SOUP:

Raw Watermelon Ginger Soup! A touch of spice balances the sweetness of the melon in this chilled soup. $6


PLATES:

Carrot Ginger Nori Rolls! The original recipe, with plenty of fresh raw veggies, cilantro, and a handful of nuts and seeds. Local carrots are coming in all sorts of crazy colors right now, so don't be surprised if you see a touch of purple mixed in! Rolled up with spinach and nori. My favorite! $12







Summery Black Bean Chili with fresh local corn and tons of local veg! Served with brown rice. $11


Muhammara
! This middle-eastern style walnut dip is traditionally made with roasted red peppers, but I am offering an even-healthier, just as scrumptious, raw version! Kissed by fragrant cumin and a splash of lemon juice. Served with crunchy veggies to dip. $12

Roasted Farmers Market Medley! All kinds of fresh, local veggies. What will make an appearance this week? Only the farmers know for sure! Served with millet and crunchy pepitas. $11


BAKERY:

Chocomole! There is nothing I love more than avocados, unless it's this rich, raw, vegan chocolate pudding made from avocados! With a dollop of agave vanilla cashew creme. $10

Pumpkin Spice Muffins! Yum! $10 half dozen, $18 dozen

******************************************

Please let me know before ordering if you have any allergies or sensitivities. I do not use any meat/fish, dairy, or egg ingredients. I do not use any peanut or soy ingredients. I do not use wheat or gluten ingredients.

I DO use tree nuts, seeds, coconut, non-gluten grains, and lots and lots of fruits and veggies; local and/or organic when possible. Some sensitivities I'm aware of in our midst are listed below, but it is not an exhaustive ingredients list. I try to avoid cross contact between nuts and non-nut dishes, but please know that nuts are present in the kitchen. Please remind me of your sensitivities when you order. Thank you!

NUTS and SEEDS: Soup: No nuts or seeds. Nori rolls: do contain assorted nuts and seeds: cashew, almond, and sunflower. Chili: contains beans, but no nuts or other seeds. Muhammara: contains walnuts. Veg medley: I can leave off pepitas. Chocomole: I can leave off cashew creme. Muffin: I can leave out nut milk on request; contains flax.

GARLIC: I can leave raw garlic out of muhammara and nori rolls. There is some cooked into the chili. Not present in anything else this week.

RAW: Choose soup, nori rolls, muhammara, and chocomole.

SCD/Grain Free: Choose soup, nori rolls, muhammara, veg medley without the millet, and chocomole.

ACD: Soup is all fruit, so a good choice in stage 2 and beyond. All entrees are great choices, all stages. Chocomole is fruit sweetened, so choose in stage 2 and beyond if you tolerate dates and cacao. If you don't tolerate agave, simply omit the cashew creme.

HONEY: Not present this week.

******************************************

Upcoming opportunities to see me elsewhere: This coming weekend, I will be working at a Cuisine en Locale event on Martha's Vineyard. We'll be at Morning Glory Farm, cooking it all up locavore-style! http://cuisineenlocale.bigcartel.com/product/once-mv-field-to-table-at-morning-glory-farm

The following weekend, celebrating tomatoes in Brooklyn! http://cuisineenlocale.bigcartel.com/product/once-brooklyn-alottatomata

Someone recently asked me an important question about gluten. I often work events where gluten ingredients are used, I cook occasionally at the restaurant, and I cook every week as the Head Vegevore for ONCE a Week at Cuisine en Locale. The big question is: Do I keep separate, GF dedicated tools and space for Rather Crafty? The answer is a resounding YES! At CeL, I use CeL's kitchen and tools. Same goes for the restaurant. I always shower and change clothes after leaving those kitchens and before entering the Crafty kitchen. I even have gluten-kitchen-shoes and non-gluten-kitchen-shoes! The gluten in the CeL kitchen stays in that kitchen! I don't track it back to Crafty Land with me.

Here in Crafty Land, I keep my tools and equipment as free of gluten ingredients as is physically possible. Earnest has celiac disease, so going GF was an important step for us to take as a family. I've carried that level of care into my business! Crafty Land is also free of soy and peanuts (I'm allergic) and all animal products (except for raw honey, used with respect and care, and in only a few recipes.)

Some of you have celiac disease, or are otherwise sensitive to gluten. Some are vegetarian, vegan, or have other dietary sensitivities. Some of you are full-on omnivores with no sensitivities at all! I don't discriminate. I just want everyone to enjoy food that is amazingly awesome, fresh, beautiful, delicious, safe, and reasonably priced; all at the same time!

See you all soon!

Much love,
Chef Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment