Friday, December 21, 2012

Beatiful morning!

Okay, it's actually rainy and dismal. But it is a new day, and a new opportunity to make a positive difference in your life! Just because it's rainy, or because it's the holiday season, or any other reason at all doesn't mean you have to abandon your healthy lifestyle choices!

The best way to stay on track with your healthy food choices is to be prepared. Cookies and candy at work tempting you? Be prepared by eating a homemade breakfast and lunch you find nourishing and filling. This morning, I enjoyed roasted kohlrabi, roasted beets, and sunny side up eggs. I'll be at the kitchen for lunch, but we are always well fed there. Nothing but real food, as far as the eye can see!

Naturally, this morning's eggs were laid by chickens raised by real, local farmers. They had the opportunity to get sunshine, which means more vitamin D in the yolks. They scratched for bugs and seeds outside, eating a healthy, natural diet. That translates to more omega-3 fatty acids in the yolks, and a better nutritional profile overall. And of course, happy animals and happy land means healthier food in all sorts of other ways too!
Happy chickens scratch outdoors!

Tempted by sweets? Get more protein and healthy fat in your diet. Don't think of it as depriving yourself of that treat. Think of it as seizing the opportunity to make a better choice!

Weather keeping you in, when you'd rather take a walk at lunchtime? Do what you can. Squats, lunges, triceps dips, and taking the stairs are all good ways to keep moving, even if you can't get outdoors or to the gym. Have a little extra time tonight? Take a yoga class. You will be so glad you did! I had been away from my favorite yoga studio for way too long, and I took a class last night. I feel better in my body and in clearer and calmer in my mind. At the beginning of class, I was frustrated by a shoulder injury that made it hard to use my full range of motion. By the end, I had a lot more freedom of movement. In fact, this morning it's still feeling a lot better!

No comments:

Post a Comment