Saturday, December 22, 2012

Thrift!

Happy End of the World, everyone!

I notice that despite the predictions, it is a sunny, calm day outside and the world has not come to an end. Huzzah! On top of that, the longest night of the year has passed and every day from here on out will get longer, brighter, and a little more hopeful.

I have to share some good fortune with everyone. The other day, I went to a thrift shop to look for some new-to-me work clothes. I love thrift shops, and not just for the thrift. There's also an opportunity to rescue clothes from being thrown away, saving valuable landfill space. I also prefer to choose to support a charity or small business instead of a mega-corporation producing new clothes in sweat shops.

I found some things that fit well enough and looked okay on: three pairs of brown pants, three brown tops, one black sweater, and one cookie cutter shaped like an apatosaurus (formerly known as brontosaurus.) Okay, I really didn't need the cookie cutter, but it's an apatosaurus! How could I say no?

I wasn't sure about the splurge, as it's the end of the year and with vet expenses finances have gotten even tighter than usual. But I decided to treat myself, and took my things up to the register.

You know how sometimes certain colors of price tags are further discounted? Well, every single thing I bought was half price that day! I spent just over $15 for all those things! They're downstairs in the wash now, and I might even wear some of them home for Christmas.

Happy holidays, everyone! I hope you have lots of little magical moments that make your days special too.

No comments:

Post a Comment